Viva Social Studies is a series of three books for classes 3 to 5. It is completely in adherence to the latest curriculum of the Council for the Indian School Certificate Examinations (CISCE).
As envisaged in the curriculum, the learners are introduced to various aspects and concerns of the present times through a wide range of contents drawn from the disciplines of History, Civics and Geography. The series aspires to inculcate a sense of appreciation for our past heritage; understand the changes that have taken place in governance and to have a better understanding of the world and the pressing environmental concerns.
This series has been designed to present the concepts in a simple yet engaging manner. Each chapter has embedded exercises and activities that would make learning more meaningful and enable the learners to make connections with the wider world.
Key Features of the series:
- We will learn: states the learning objectives of the lesson
- Warm Up: a lead-in task or discussion that is connected to the topic to be discussed
- Let’s Do: in-text activities related to the topic being discussed
- Let’s Discuss: in-text discussions based on the topic being covered
- Fact Corner: information based on the topic but beyond the syllabus, presented in boxes
- Now I Know: recapitulation of all the important topics covered in each lesson
- Exercises: varied types of questions ranging from choosing the right option, fill in the blanks, completing the flow charts and mind maps, choosing true or false sentences, think and answer, and answering questions in detail
- Life Skills: topics integrating various skills as delineated in the syllabus
- Creative Corner: activities to aid the learners to express the concepts learnt creatively
- Beyond Textbook: integrates activities to reinforce the topic learnt while connecting it with the surroundings
- Words to Know: meanings of some new words used in the lessons
- Quick check: a compilation of questions based on each lesson for evaluation
About the Author:
Sreerupa Mukhopadhyay, M.A. B.Ed. CTET qualified, has been teaching Social Studies for close to a decade now. She is currently with The Heritage School, Kolkata.